I-GUIDE is Seeking Project Proposals and Team Leaders for the 2024 Summer School to be Held at the UCAR Campus in Boulder, CO August 5-9, 2024. This year’s Summer School theme is “Leveraging AI for Environmental Sustainability.”
I-GUIDE invites established scholars and professionals to apply as a team leader (or co-leader) and submit a project idea or problem set for the 2024 I-GUIDE Summer School. Project proposals should align with the Summer School application areas and themes. Accepted team leaders will be invited to join the 2024 Summer School at the UCAR campus in Boulder, CO August 5-9, 2024.
We expect to support up to six teams working on six different projects. Each team will consist of five to six graduate students or early-career scholars (within four years of completing a graduate degree) during a week of in-person collaboration. Active work will be conducted Monday, August 5 through Thursday, August 8 and final results will be presented on Friday, August 9. All team leaders and participants will be expected to be in-person at the UCAR campus in Boulder, CO from Sunday, August 4 until 2:00pm Friday, August 9, 2024. For projects with two team co-leaders, it is expected that at least one co-leader is present in-person at the UCAR campus in Boulder, CO for the entire week.
The application for summer school participants is currently open and receiving applications. The participant application closes Monday, April 1, 2024 and we expect to finalize the list of participants by Monday, April 29, 2024. Summer School participants will have a range of skill sets, domain knowledge, and experience. The I-GUIDE Summer School administrative team will assign team membership to ensure that necessary and appropriate skill sets are represented for each project.
Thanks to the generous funding from the NSF, team leaders will receive comprehensive support, covering travel, lodging, and meals during the Summer School week. Travel support also includes transportation to and from Boulder, CO, if required.
Expectations for Team Leaders
- The Summer School will take place in-person at the UCAR campus in Boulder, CO August 4-9, 2024. All team leaders and participants are expected to be able to arrive on Sunday, August 4 and be present in-person through 5:00pm MT on Friday, August 9. Team leaders are expected to be present in-person for the entire week to provide active guidance and direction for their team. If you are proposing a project with two co-leaders, it is expected that at least one co-leader is present in-person for the entire week.
- Team leaders will be expected to arrive at the Summer School prepared with a clear project topic and goals for their team.
- Team leaders will receive full support for travel, lodgings, and food during the week of the Summer School. Travel support includes travel to and from Boulder, CO if required.
Project proposals should be aligned with the 2024 Summer School application areas and theme. This year's theme is "Leveraging AI for Environmental Sustainability." Project topics and questions, as well as any required background research or instruction, should be reasonably addressable within the available time (approximately four active work days). Your proposal should NOT require participants to conduct work prior to the start of the Summer School. Projects should also not require excessive data engineering before the primary project question can be addressed. Highly ambitious projects or projects using very large datasets may be split into multiple team projects. Learn more about what to expect by exploring the projects and final presentations from the 2023 I-GUIDE Summer School.
2024 Summer School Theme
Leveraging AI for Environmental Sustainability
2024 Summer School Application Areas
- Effects of a Changing Climate
- Sustainable Development
- Water Security
- Application of Social Science Data to Any of the Above Areas
Team Leader and Project Proposal Application Process
Project proposals must be received by Monday, April 8, 2024. Project selections will be finalized and all applicants notified by Monday, April 29, 2024. Accepted team leaders must confirm their acceptance by Sunday, May 5, 2024. We anticipate connecting team leaders with their teams by Monday, May 27, 2024.
- Monday, April 8, 2024 at 11:59pm PT: Team Leader and Project Proposal Application Deadline
- Monday, April 29, 2024: All Team Leader Applicants Notified of Decisions
- Sunday, May 5, 2024 at 11:59pm PT: Deadline to Confirm Participation for Selected Team Leaders
- Monday, May 27, 2024: Projects Assignments and Teams Finalized
- Monday, August 5 - Friday, August 9, 2024: Summer School in Boulder, CO
Please reach out to Kate Vavra-Musser (email@example.com) with any questions regarding the application process.